Our Homestead car crash lawyers are sadly familiar with the consequences of mixing alcohol, drugs or chemicals with driving. We are committed to help stop drunk driving forever and protect families from experiencing the devastation and loss associated with intoxicated motorist.
According to Mothers Against Drunk Drivers the most common signs to be aware when driving among other motorist is:
- Quick acceleration or rapid deceleration
- Weaving and/or zig-zagging across the road
- Driving on a sidewalk or on lawns
- Striking an object, curb, or vehicle
- Erratic braking
- Drifting in and out of lanes
- Inconsistent turn signals
- Delayed response to traffic signals
- Straddling center lane markers
- Driving without headlights at night
- Driving much slower then the speed limit
- Abrupt or illegal turns
Our South Miami car accident lawyers recommend that if you see or suspect someone is driving under the influence to stay as far away as possible. Do not try to stop or follow the car. Contact 911 and report the vehicle and if possible the tag number. It is best to leave safety to the professionals and not attempt to disable a suspected drunk driver’s vehicle.
Florida’s DUI statute includes alcohol, chemical and controlled substances. It is an offense to drive in Florida if there are impaired normal faculties, or a blood alcohol or breath alcohol level above .08. The penalties in Florida for DUI range from $500 to imprisonment depending on the number of prior convictions as well as whether or not there is injury to person, property or death.
Since 2002 Florida’s Statute §316.193 requires that ignition interlock be installed on certain persons convicted of a DUI and are eligible for reinstatement of either a permanent or restricted license.