As a Florida car accident lawyer, for nearly twenty years, I know that it is not “if” but “when” people will get into a car wreck. It is inevitable.
There are a few things we can do now to make instant safety upgrades that could save your life.
1. Headrest Position-Make sure it is positioned properly. According to the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety, it should be positioned so that the top of the headrest is at the top of your ears.
2. Headlights-Run them during the day, even on brights. Studies show that accidents can be reduced by as much as 12 percent. Better to burn out a bulb then get hurt, no?
3. Keep it Cool-Researcher found that cooler temperatures keep drivers more alert and less likely to dose off.
4. Steering Wheel-Sitting too close to the steering wheel increases the likelihood that your body can make contact before the airbag deploys. Move your seat back far enough to reach the wheel, without overextending your arms.
5. Tires -Keeping your tires properly inflated and with adequate tread can save your life. Ditch the old penny test for the quarter test and make sure you cannot see the head of the president. If you can, its time for a new tire.
6. Cellphone/Texting-In all of our car accident cases, we immediately subpoena the cellphone records of the defendant driver. We are finding that many of them were on the phone or texting at the time of the accident. In my opinion, it is plain negligence to drive a car while on the cellphone or texting. Even if you are using a head phone or blue tooth. I urge you to simply leave your phone in the trunk so that you are not tempted to turn it on, even at a stoplight. Invest in cellphone blocking software like Zoom Safer, which not only disables your cellphone, but will alert callers that you are on the road.
Aronfeld Trial Lawyers is committed to making Florida’s road safer for all drivers, bicyclist and pedestrians. Drive safe, be safe.