With summer in full swing, nothing tops taking a dip in one of South Florida’s popular resort-style pools. Whether enjoying a staycation at one of the resort-style hotels equipped with lazy rivers and water slides, or relaxing under one of the luxurious poolside cabanas, it is important to keep yourself safe. Swimming pool accidents can happen quickly, and unexpectedly.
Knowing how to minimize your risk of a slip and fall can save your life. A swimming pool slip and fall can be particularly deadly to older adults, who can suffer additional complications from broken bones or other injuries stemming from the fall.
A slip and fall injury can occur when a person slips, trips, or falls as a result of a dangerous or hazardous condition on another person’s property. For example, if you are visiting a hotel pool or are swimming at a neighbor’s pool and you slip and fall, the landowner or business owner may be held liable for your injuries.
Here are some risks associated with swimming pool-related slip and fall accidents:
- Unforgiving concrete decks that become slippery with water, due to poor maintenance, algae growth, etc.;
- Shifting ground around the pool, decking, or paving that has become cracked creating a tripping hazard;
- Pools and pool decks that are under construction, but are still open to the public;
- Gates that are not property secured, presenting a hazard if children attempt to get in the pool area;
- Spills of suntan lotion and drinks that cause a slippery surface;
- Pool area bathrooms and changing rooms that are wet from foot traffic. Oftentimes these are constructed with concrete or tile, creating a slippery surface when wet;
- Defective pools or pool equipment;
- Cracked stairs leading into or up to a pool deck;
- Diving boards made of slippery materials;
- Slides or diving boards that are not properly constructed.
Injuries sustained in a slip and fall can oftentimes be serious enough to require extensive medical tests, such as MRI’s or CAT scans, ongoing physical therapy, surgery, and hospitalization. Treatment can cost hundreds, even thousands of dollars and potentially cause a person to miss work or be unable to perform the daily activities they had once done before the fall.
If you have been injured in a slip and fall accident, it is extremely important that you sit down with an attorney to discuss your legal rights. The sooner you do this the better. Important evidence (such as photos and video surveillance footage) must be obtained quickly to ensure the best possible outcome in your case.
As experienced Miami slip and fall accident lawyers, we understand Florida’s slip-and-fall laws and how to hold businesses accountable for our client’s injuries, lost wages, medical expenses and pain and suffering. If you have suffered a slip and fall at a hotel, resort, or public pool, in Miami, Fort Lauderdale, Palm Beach, The Keys or anywhere in the State of Florida it is critically important for you to consult with an experienced Personal Injury Lawyer who will fight to protect your legal rights.
Call us today for a free initial consultation at 1-866-597-4529 and speak with an experienced slip and fall lawyer about your potential claim. We offer a free initial consultation at your home, office, hotel, or hospital.