Driving Under the Influence (DUI) arrests were down 10% in 2016 from 2015 according to Florida’s Uniform Traffic Citation Statistic. In 2016, there were 3,156 arrests for Miami DUI, alone. Of those arrests only 13 were found to be not guilty, 725 were found to be guilty, and over 1000 more were dismissed for various reasons. Most of the people were arrested by City police officers (2,754) versus Florida Highway Patrol (389). This represents a considerable decrease from 2015 where there were 3558 DUI arrests with 21 found to be not guilty.
Given both the criminal and civil ramifications it is still hard to believe that anyone would get behind the wheel of a motor vehicle today- but sadly it still happens. Florida’s Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles Department has a very aggressive campaign called “Think Before You Drink” to educate drivers and passengers of drivers how to avoid drunk driving and drunk driving accidents in Miami, especially since there are many reasons that people celebrate and drink throughout the year. With Halloween parties and the holidays just around the corner, our personal injury lawyers believe that having a strategy as to how you will get home is important before one begins drinking (even just one alcoholic drink).
Here are 6 ways to avoid getting arrested for driving under the influence or causing a DUI accident:
- Always Plan How You Are Getting Home-Before the party begins. Our personal injury lawyers recommend that you take UBER, LYFT or a taxi or bus to or from any event that you may drink at.
- Always Buckle Up- A seatbelt is your vehicle’s most important safety feature, but it only works we use them.
- Pick a Sober Driver- before you start drinking. And not just one who will drink in “moderation” but someone who is not going to drink at all.
- Call a friend- If you feel impaired or tired- and did not designate a driver in advance, call a sober friend or family member.
- Call for Help by dialing- *FHP *347 if you see a drunk driver or someone about to get behind the wheel of a car.
- Bottle it Up! Possession of an open alcoholic beverage container in a vehicle (in motion or stopped) by the driver and or the passenger(s) is a violation of Florida law.
LEGAL CLAIMS FOR DRUNK DRIVING ACCIDENTS
If you have been involved in a Florida drunk driving accident or have been arrested for a Miami DUI, it is important to consult with an experienced personal injury attorney– who knows how to hold the at-fault driver accountable for your injuries, medical expenses, property damage, lost wages and personal injuries. Our Miami car accident attorneys have over 30 years of combined legal experiences fighting the major insurance companies on behalf of those who have been involved in a car, truck, motorcycle, bicycle, scooter and pedestrian accidents across Florida.
Contact our offices today and speak with an experienced car accident lawyer who can help protect your legal rights and get you the compensation you deserve for your injuries. Our legal team is available 24/7 to assist you by telephone toll-free 1-866-597-4529, local 305-441-0440 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org. Call us today, we are ready to help.