10 Ways to Keep Your Family Safe this 4th of July
As we gather to celebrate our country’s Independence, I urge you to take some precautions
to keep you and your family safe:
1. Look, you are not a professional pyrotechnic. Leave it to the pros and find a
2. If you absolutely have to set-off your own fireworks, buy them from a reputable
and licensed vendor. Do not sign any personal injury waivers without first consulting with an experienced lawyer.
3. Check your State and City laws. It is illegal to use fireworks in the State of Florida, which
include: shells and mortars, multiple tube devices, Roman candles, rockets and firecrackers,
without a permit.
4. Never let your children handle fireworks unsupervised; even sparklers can cause severe burns and eye injuries.
5. Think about your pets. Loud noises can be frightening and potentially damaging
to animals. If you go, leave your dogs at home.
6. Have a fire extinguisher or water hose handy. Last year, Florida had 137 fires related to fireworks and sparklers causing $400,000.00 in property damage.
7. Do not carry fireworks in your pocket, especially when lighting other fireworks.
8. Do not use open, tampered or “left over” fireworks.
9. Do not drink when lighting fireworks. Alcohol and fire do not mix.
10. Light only one at a time and do not try to re-light a dud.